10 Things to do in Portland This Winter
Are you looking for fun things to do in Portland this winter? Every season in Portland has something unique to offer. Spring brings welcome renewal after a long and wet winter, summers are warm and wonderful, and fall makes the city glow under its seasonal colors. Winter may not be your favorite season in the Pacific Northwest, but it’s still a surprisingly great time to visit us in Portland. In fact, we think winter can be one of the best times to visit Portland. Crowds are fewer at the city’s most popular attractions, including the top restaurants, and you’ll often enjoy reduced prices and less competition for the things you want to do most.
There’s truly something for everyone in Portland. You can still get outside and enjoy some of the city’s best parks and hiking trails, or you can stay indoors hopping from one craft brewery to the next, followed by an evening of indulgence of one of Portland’s top restaurants. Most importantly, you can spend some much-needed downtime at the Fulton House Bed and Breakfast, which is located close to all of Portland’s top attractions. Come enjoy these incredible things to do in Portland this winter, and book your room at our Portland Bed and Breakfast today!
10 Things to do in Portland This Winter
Portland is a hard city to define, and it’s a city that thrives on and embraces its reputation for weird. Some consider it the best foodie town in the Pacific Northwest, while some come for the exceptional batches of craft beer. Beyond eating and drinking, there is an incredible number of things to do in Portland this winter. If you don’t mind, and maybe even enjoy, spending time in the outdoors despite the potential rain, here are some recommendations:
- Mount Hood is an iconic part of Portland’s skyline. Head up to the mountain this winter, and enjoy a day of tubing, skiing, or otherwise playing in the snow! For something even more exciting, try nighttime cosmic tubing, lit up by 600,000 LED lights, laser light shows, black lights, colored lights, rock music and more.
- For some old-fashioned winter fun, strap on a pair of ice skates and take to the ice rinks! There are a number of places for ice skating in the Portland area, including the Winterhawks Skating Center, the Lloyd Center Ice Rink, the Hillsboro Winter Village – Open Ice Skating Plaza, and Christmas in the Garden at Oregon Garden.
- Take a day and head to Oregon’s Coast for a day of whale watching! Whale watching season starts in December and continues through the winter months.
- Brighten those winter doldrums with Portland’s Winter Light Festival in February.
- Layer up, bring the raincoat, and take a hike this winter in Portland! There are plenty of trails that make for excellent winter hikes. Travel Portland has put together a great list of the best winter hikes.
When it’s time to stay indoors, here are the top things to do in Portland:
- Indulge in Portland’s legendary culinary scene. Here are the 38 top recommendations from Eater Portland, updated as of fall 2019.
- Sample as many of Portland’s 75+ craft breweries that you dare. There are more breweries in Portland than any other city in the US. Talk about a beer lover’s paradise!
- Browse the rows upon rows of books at Powells Books. It’s the world’s largest independent bookstore, and it’s worth the hours of time you’ll likely spend browsing this incredible mainstay in downtown Portland.
- Warm-up with a cup of locally roasted coffee. Portland has an excellent coffee scene, which locals will tell you is far better than Seattle’s.
- Attend the sensational Portland Jazz Festival in February.
Stay at the Best Portland Bed and Breakfast
Stay close to all of Portland’s top attractions at the historic Fulton House Bed and Breakfast. Our quiet residential location offers easy access to Willamette Park, restaurants, shops, and downtown Portland. Our 4 generous guest suites with private baths offer all the comforts of a premier bed and breakfast experience. Drift off to sleep on a pillow-topped queen-sized bed, certainly a welcome respite after a full day of adventure in Portland. Each morning of your stay will start with our delicious breakfast, fueling you up for the day of adventure ahead.
With plenty of things to do in Portland, exceptional hospitality and a sophisticated (but weird) city at the heart of it all, there’s truly no better place for a winter getaway than our Portland Bed and Breakfast. Now is also a great time to pick up a gift certificate to our Inn. They make a great holiday gift! Book your stay with us today!